Hair Growth Cycle
There are three phases of the growth cycle for human hair. The anagen or growth phase is the longest phase as it can last for up to 8 years and is responsible for 90% of the hair that is visible on the scalp. During the catagen phase, which typically lasts for 2-3 weeks, the hair follicle shrinks.
Finally, during the telogen phase, the hair follicle rests for several months. Each day approximately 90% of our hair is growing while the remaining 10% is shrinking or dormant. In addition to some hair breakage which may take place each day when brushing or pulling the hair, mild hair fallout is to be expected, but not in increasing numbers.
Women who are experiencing hair loss in Miami may begin to notice that a higher amount of hairs are present in their hairbrush or on their pillowcase each morning. While men affected by androgenic alopecia typically see a receding hairline, progressing into a horseshoe pattern, women with thinning hair tend to observe more scalp showing through at the crown, part, temples, and hairline. There are a variety of female hair loss causes, some of which are temporary while others are permanent. Androgenic alopecia is a continuous and progressive hereditary condition which affects approximately 30 million American women or an estimated 50% of women aged 50 and older.
Family History & Hair Loss
Androgenic alopecia is characterized by hair that falls out and is initially replaced with fine, thinner hairs. However, as it progresses, the follicles will shrink so much that they no longer regenerate new hair. As a result, hair which was once strong and healthy becomes wispy and sparse.
If the hair follicles vary in size when examined under a microscope, that indicates a genetic predisposition to thinning hair. On the other hand, if when examined up close, the strands and follicles appear to be the same size, your thinning hair is likely temporary and caused by factors such as stress, health issues, or medication usage. Temporary fallout or, ‘shock loss’ is also known as telogen effluvium.